Teme Valley top logo Welcome to the Teme Valley

Knighton.

| Home Page | Ludlow | Tenbury | News| Links | Site Map | Contact Us |

The Saxons are credited with the first settlement at Knighton, but this was overrun by the Welsh in 1052. The Normans came soon after 1066, and rebuilt a castle probably on the east of the town at Bryn-y-Castell. Knighton stands 700feet above sea level, in a bowl of higher hills, and there are steep, narrow streets with some attractive buildings still remaining in the upper part of the town, known as 'The Narrows', although all too much rebuilding has taken place.
Broad Street Knighton

Broad Street Knighton 1960's

Broad Street looking up towards the clock tower.

View looking down Broad Street, 1960's. In the right foreground is The George and Dragon, one of Knighton's oldest buildings, dating back to 1637. Some of the wood from the pews of the church demolished in 1877 was apparently used in the wainscoting of the hotel.

Knighton from Kinsley Hill
View from the Garth

Knighton from Kinsley Hill. The English name Knighton means literally, 'Knights Town'. It has been suggested that this refers to horsemen who would have patrolled Offa's Dyke, rather than to a permanent garrison.

View from the Garth, Knighton. This is the lower Teme Valley looking west, or upstream, towards Shropshire. The English/Welsh border runs down the centre of the valley.


<< Previous.

Page 4. >>


| Top| Home Page | Ludlow | Tenbury | News | Links | Site Map | Contact Us |