Past Inns and Public Houses.
Catchem's Inn in Kyrewood Road (opposite the swimming pool )
In 1799 Samuel Holland sold to Edward Wheeler what was known as Catchham's Inn but is now used as a Tollgate. It was in use as a Toll house until about 1880.
Cross Hands Bromyard Road adjoining The Crescent.
It was a black and white cottage, now demolished which served as a cider house prior to 1900. In 1840 it was owned by a bricklayer, George Tyler.
1875 - The Old Cross Keys - " in a spacious yard with driving way out of Cross Street and closed doors. A double dwelling house with two underground cellars, 2 rooms facing the street, back kitchen and bakehouse, recently erected and 4 good bedrooms. Cottage adjoining an engine house with stack, large warehouse.
The Cooper Arms Teme Street
This house had a life of about 40 years and stood where Casa Portugesa is today. As may be suspected from the name there was also a cooperage which was conducted from the yard at the rear. There were only two landlords, the second being Samuel Bowen who it appears, may have moved to The Red Lion.
The Crown Inn Adjoining the Kyre Brook
It was usually listed as being in Teme Street but was ' near the bridge over the Kyre leading from Teme Street in Tenbury to Rochford in Herefordshire. 1723- the court sessions were held at The Crown 1820- Richard Deakins is listed as victualler. 1835- Francis Deakins is listed as victualler. 1839- Rev Rushout Bowles sold to Thos. Price, Innkeeper, a message known by the sign The Crown Inn. At this time it was also the excise office. 1840- This was the time the Tenbury Spa open and everyone was trying to find the mineral water. Thos. Price did not think there was enough water to bottle at Godson's well and on August 24 1840 he had a well sunk to a depth of 42ft and found the water. To stop any opposition S H Godson bought the Crown at auction on 22nd Sept. 1841, including the "celebrated" mineral water well. 1841- The fixtures at the Crown Inn were valued after Thos. Price died. They included Brewhouse - 160 gal copper Furnace, cupboards and shelves in parlour, pantry, kitchen, hop kiln, bar, cellar and long room. Together with 5350 hop poles they were valued at £45/5/0d 1843- The Tenbury Horticultural and Flower Society held 3 shows a year at the back of the Crown.
The Foreign Oldwood Rd. at the corner with Saltbox Lane.
The house was just out of Tenbury Town and just in Tenbury Foreign, which is where the name will have come from. He was afterwards at The Black Cross.
Wm. Joyce in his book on Tenbury says there was a Feathers in the Town in 1719. Nothing further is known.
The Grapes 1 Market Square.
This appears in Billings Directory of 1855 when John Morris appears as a beer retailer, wine merchant and boot and shoe maker. There was a wine merchant and grocer on the site for many years thereafter and was eventually acquired by Bowketts who demolished it when they erected their present store.
The Greyhound Market Square.
The building is now known as 1 and 2 star cottages. It is mentioned in A. W. Gwillams "Old Inns of Worcestershire" and operated from 1854 to 1876. On a sketch to show the layout of drains in 1850, the Greyhound is marked in the position of the Market Tavern.
<<Previous (page 1.)
Continue on to page 3.>>