Page 3.Kings Head.
The front part is almost certainly of 17th century origins. The first record of it as The Kings Head is recorded in the transaction of 1791 when Humphrey Wolverton, a weaver sold it to John and Sarah Hill. Whether it served as a pub prior to that date is undetermined. John and Sarah were not the Inn keepers, that being reserved for Philip Pound who leased it until 1813 when he purchased it from John and Sarha. In 1834 there was a Malster on the premises with Philip Pound being the Malster. Philip Pound died in 1835 leaving the Inn to his wife, who continued as Landlord until 1839 when it passed to Edward Wise who held it until 1896. Edward Wise was only the owner and during his ownership he had 6 landlords. ( Cas Steward, Wm Jones, James Pound, Joseph Matthews, Fredric Eliit and Jame Boned ).
In 1896 the widow of Edward
Wise sold the property to Emma Davies wife of John Davies, who had been
tenant for at least 4 years before being purchased by his wife. Beer was
made on the premises until about 1926. There is an agreement of 1912 in
which Arthur Powis agrees to hold the licence of The Kings Head, Tenbury
and reside on the premises and do the brewing and cellar work. His wages
were 16/- a week with 1/6d available to have help with each brewing.
The site may have started as the Parsnage to the Anglo - Saxson Church which would take its history back to 1100. The first record mention of its use as an Inn is on a list of innkeepers of Tenbury and district, which was recorded by the Police in 1600, when Edmund Hill als Tailor was landlord.
Before then it had belonged to Sir Thomas Lucy who sold it to Rowland Corbett, Richard Millward and Richard Hayle. these sold it to Philip Hill als Tailor, then to Luke Hemynng of Worcester, and then ( 1645 ) to Walter Tomkins als Weaver of Worcester , Clothier and then to Thomas Dedicott (1650) of Tenbury, Glover and then to Valentine Rawlines of Oxford University, Gent who sold it to Thomas Sabery ( 1681 ) for £200.
In 1687 Thomas Sabery sold it to John Hall, Master of Pembroke Collage, Oxford for the benefit of fellows on the Tesdale and Wightwick Foundation of the Collage. This is where the present day name for the pub comes from. Thomas Sabery sealed the deal at The Boars Head, Tenbury in September 1687
Around 1750 it became
involved in the new
A 17th century building but the first record we have is in 1855 when it was known as,
The Hippodrome and run as a beer and cider house by Mrs. Jane Clarke who was the landlady for about 25 years. We have details of the auction of The Fountain in 1879, presumably on the death of Mrs. Clarke.
The house is an
old licensed house of high standing and is situated on a good main road
half way between the flourishing market town of Tenbury and St Michael's
Church and College, one mile from each. The surroundings are very beautiful
and being on high ground it commands charming scenery.