Page 2.

A prominent reminder of the town's ancient origins lie not far from the bridge. This is strange conical mound known as Castle Tump, which, over the years has generated many local legends. Some say it was a Bronze Age burial mound, others that it was the base of a Norman wooden keep. Both explanations seen a little more likely than the theory that it marks the last resting place of Caractacus who was killed fighting the Roman invaders in A D 100. But whatever the true origin of this mysterious grassy hillock, the local people continue to hold it in affectionate regard, and the visitors take a qizzical glance at it as they pass by

Teme Street Tenbury in 1908 Teme Street Looking down from the bridge with the Bridge Hotel on the right

Teme Street from the bridge around the turn of the century. when the 1908 restoration of the bridge took place, the railings on the left were replaced by the more ornate style seen in the picture opposite.

The same view of Teme street after the bridge was repaired. The Bridge Hotel in the right foreground also seems to have received a facelift.
Teme Street in 1946
Victorian Teme Street

Teme Street in 1946 . This is a view of post-war Tenbury with an Austin Severn, Morris Eight and a Morris Ten series M seen coming towards us. On the left is a Bedford Van belonging to K. A. Longe, motorfactors Worcester.

A late Victorian view of Teme Street The premises of Hardeman's the cider merchants, on the left, have now been replaced by modern shops.
The Corner Shop in 1875. The corner shop in 1920

Middleton's corner shop in 1875. Later on, at the turn of the century, it became known as Gardner's corner shop. Here you see Mr. W Middleton with his aunt. Mr. W Middleton became a parish councillor and was a well known postman.

Teme Street in 1920 from Gardner's Corner looking up Teme Street towards the bridge.

<< Previous.

Continue to page 3.>>