Teme Valley top logo Welcome to the Teme Valley

TENBURY WELLS.

| Home Page | Knighton | Ludlow | Tenbury | News | Links | Site Map | Contact Us |

Page 6.

The partly medieval bridge over the Teme, guarded on the Worcestershire bank by the Bridge Hotel, and on the Shropshire bank by The Swan Hotel, is another noteworthy way of the towns cape. With a curious bend in it midstream, which was extended in the seventeeth century, it has witnessed in its long life the many disastrous occasions when the capricious waters of the Teme have burst their banks and inundated not only the surrounding countryside, but large areas of the town itself.

Former Workhouse. Now the council chambers.

The Swan Hotel Looking Over The Teme Bridge

Guarding the southern end of the bridge is the former workhouse where inmates could qualify for a night's lodgings by breaking stones. Remodelled in 1937, the building served as offices for the old Tenbury Rural District Council before becoming the headquarters of Tenbury Town Council.

An 1892 view of the bridge over the River Teme looking north, with the Swan Hotel in the background. The three northern arches are medieval, the others being added in the seventeeth century when the bridge was extended after flood damage and a change in the river course.

The Swan Hotel

Tenbury Hospital 1905

The Swan Hotel in 1910 was generously covered in ivy; in fact, it had rather taken over .A well known sight were the yew trees on the left which were carved into fantastic shapes' . This was considered to be the main hotel in Tenbury.


The Cottage Hospital, seen here in 1905, was open in December 1870 and all the expenses, including the purchase of instruments, during the first year were paid for by the foundress, Mrs. Prescott.

Tenbury Hospital 1915

Tenbury Hospital 1971

The Cottage Hospital in 1915. After opening in December 1870 it was reported that the number of patients in the first year was thirty nine, none of whom died.

The Cottage Hospital, photographed in 1971 to commemorate the centenary of the hospital. The gates and the garden were paid for by Mr. Rollo in memory of his father and mother, who did much, including the provision of an operating theatre, to help the hospital.

<<Previous

Tenbury Index>>

| Top | Home Page | Knighton | Ludlow | Tenbury | News | Links | Site Map | Contact Us |