Teme Valley top logo Welcome to the Teme Valley

TENBURY WELLS.

| Home Page | Knighton | Ludlow | Tenbury | News | Links | Site Map | Contact Us |

page 4.

Tenbury values its architectural heritage, and even if it mourns the loss of a few memorable
landmarks, the streets are still graced by many handsome buildings. Bizarre rather than handsome, however, are the extraordinary remains of Tenbury's erstwhile Pump Rooms by the side of the little Kyre Brook, a quaint reminder of the town's brief heyday as a spa following the discovery of a mineral spring in the last century.

The Old Bank Chambers Church Street

The Old Bank Chambers Church Street


Bank Chambers in 1900 looking down Church Street. The brass plate proclaims ' Berwick Lechmere Worcester Old Bank'. The Chambers were known as Holland House, as Samuel Holland built them in the late eighteenth century. He was so influential that Church Street was known as All Holland Street during the nineteenth century.

An early photograph of the parish church from Church Street. During 1864 restoration part of a Saxon preaching cross from round AD 880 was discovered, and it is now preserved as one of the church's numerous
ecclesiastical and historical treasures. A waist-high flood-mark plaque by the chance arch is a stark reminder of the depth of water which invaded the church on 14th May 1886. The little building seen here on the left of the churchyard entrance has been a varied existence, first as a mortuary, then as a fire station and meeting room.

Tenbury Church


Church Street

A view of the parish church St Mary seen across the river Teme in 1892. Although the origins of the church can be traced back to Norman times, much of the present building is Victorian. A large part of the church was destroyed in the great flood of 1770, and although it was repaired in 1777, a major rebuilding took place in 1864. Part of the original Norman tower survived not only the 170 flood but both the subsequent restoration, and still stands today as evidence of the church's deep roots in history.

This row of timbered cottages once graced Church Street until they were demolished to make room for modern bungalows. Church Street was the main thoroughfare through the town, until Teme Street became the principal trading street when the medieval bridge was built.

Cross Street Looking Down Leominster Road


Cross Street in the 1930's


A view of Cross Street looking towards the town centre. The sight of a photographer in Victorian Tenbury was obviously one not be missed, certainly not by these school children who were probably pupils at Goff's Free School which is tucked away between the buildings on the right. The original building, school was founded in 1816 but the present which was used as a Baptist chapel, bears the date 1863 on its porch and now serves as Tenbury Museum.

The seventeenth - century half -timbered King's Head, another notable survivor of the many inns which Tenbury could once boast. Outside the Kings's Head in 1932. The Thornycroft wagon (GC 9039) belonged to the LMR/GWR railway company and replaced the horse-drown dray on 1 February 1930. The first driver of this lorry was Ruben Martin. It is standing outside the Kings Arms in cross street, with the Round Market at the bottom of the street

<<Previous.

Continue to Page 5>>

| Top | Home Page | Knighton | Ludlow | Tenbury | News | Links | Site Map | Contact Us |